Sunday, March 14, 2010

Savannah: A day in Georgia's first city

Finally, a break in the clouds of tests and practicals and studying, so Korey and I took our single day of partly cloudy sunshine and took a day trip to Savannah. Savannah is very special to us because that is where we got engaged. Technically the actual engagement happened on Tybee Island and of course there is not a single picture of it, which is fine by me since I was a complete lobster after about 30 minutes of sunshine and was not photographable anyway.

First stop was Uncle Bubba's for some lunch. Paula Dean's brother is in fact "uncle bubba" himself, so of course everything there is awesome. Korey loves their parmesan oysters and I love their fried pickles.

The view out back is pretty sweet too.

After lunch, we headed to Fort Pulaski. We had been to the fort before, but that was before we got our National Park Passports, and we couldn't get this close to a stamp and not have it stamped in its place. Besides, forts are cool.

And it was a beautiful drive out there. 

Can you imagine what it must have been like to be in the fort when it was attacked? Even more amazing to me is the range of the cannons that were attacking the fort from a ship on the river, because when you turn around in the direction of the river, this is what you see. 

We didn't really have a plan for the rest of the day so we tooled around the town and people watched. Wow there were a lot of people dressed up for St. Patrick's Day. 

I love old things. Old forts. Old junk. Old people. You name it and keep it for a hundred years and I'll love it. Just try me. Korey loves old stuff too so, we found a few antique shops all nestled together and went in and looked around.

The first one we went into was dedicated to furniture in a way that can only be described in a picture...and perhaps the caption, "don't forget to look at the chairs hanging down from the ceiling above the caution signs."

It even had a scary elevator shaft and elevator pulley system. There were 2 or 3 more antique stores with equally old stuff in them, but without all of the creepy chairs in the ceiling.

One nice antique store man even let me step precariously onto his balcony and take a picture. 

Then we headed down to River street where the fountains are already running green for St. Patty. I've heard that on St. Patty's Day they turn the river water green as well. 

The sun was setting so we headed off to eat dinner at the Pirates' House. 

As we were walking by this building (The Custom House) a guy looked up at me and then the building and yelled, "Yay! Go Congress!" It made me laugh at first, and then I was sad... What if he really thinks this is where congress meets? If only he had stopped to read the sign that was right next to him or the huge letters on the building that say, "Custom House". It would have also helped if he already knew where congress met, because he had learned it in a class. I'm not being snobby, people. He was old enough to know better. 

The Pirates' House is a part of one of the oldest buildings in Savannah and is supposed to be haunted by several ghosts. We didn't experience anything untoward during our dinner. The food was great and there was a free tour led by an irish pirate guide who took us around and told us interesting facts and showed us the tunnel where people supposedly were shanghaied. 

While we were eating dinner and touring with pirates, night fell on Savannah. 

It was beautiful. I did my best to capture it with my camera sans tripod.

and then it started to rain, so we packed up and headed home.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I especially love that last picture! In all my trips to Savannah, I have never been to this "Pirate's House." I'll have to check it out sometime.