Thursday, September 29, 2011

Arts In the Heart

Arts in the heart turned out to be one of the most redeeming qualities about Augusta.

Photobucket

We purchased our buttons not really knowing what to expect, and were pleasantly surprised by the amount of cultures represented.

Photobucket

Booths lined the streets with food labeled by country, region, or race. Korey and I seized the opportunity to try things we had never eaten before. We went to each booth and asked, "If I can only buy one thing, what should I buy?" The Northern Indian food and Brazilian food were my favorite, although I can't honestly say what it is we consumed.

Photobucket

And then I attempted to eat the pigs foot...not the best decision I've ever made, but what can I say? I was experiencing culture, and at least now I can honestly say I don't like it.

Photobucket

People from all walks of life were out and about

Photobucket

and performers filled the streets, waiting their turn to take the stage or mingling after their part of the show. Performances varied from ancient traditional instruments to a tap dancing group who danced to "Rocky Top."

Photobucket

Photobucket

There was even a tai chi demonstration.

Photobucket

It was amazing to see all of the talent. This older gentleman was my favorite. He was apart of the tai chi demonstration. He sure knew his way around a red fan and I'm pretty sure he can lung deeper and faster than I can.

Photobucket

Other forms of talent were scattered around the festival. There were long rows of handmade jewelry, paintings, drawings, and art work in all shapes and sizes.  This man made pottery and grew crystals in the glaze by controlling the temperature of the kiln during firing and adding metals to create the different colors. I was fascinated. I do love a practical chemist.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Korey bought some folk art for our yard. Sunflowers are my favorite, so of course I love it. We had so much fun the first day, we even talked Wendy into joining us on the second day of the festival.

Photobucket

We love Wendy. She has a warm and sunny disposition. She hardly says a negative thing about anyone and honestly tries to find redeemable qualities in everyone. Wendy is also in dental school and we are in the same class. The new clinic is pictured below, all 5 beautiful stories of it.

Photobucket

The grand opening ceremony was last friday, although the clinic has been operational since August. The programs doubled as fans to help fan the heat while we listened to the president of the university, the governor, and other esteemed guests give their speeches.
Photobucket

As you can see, Dean Drisko is incredibly excited about the new building. Here she is giving "props" to her husband, Dick.

Photobucket

I've never been in a more beautiful clinic. The waiting rooms are spacious with beautiful views.

Photobucket

The pediatric waiting room even has a play room complete with video games along the wall of it.

Photobucket

Artwork is sprinkled throughout the building with this giant chandelier as the main attraction. Most say it looks like a jelly fish or a brain. It is a mosaic made of tiny shards of clear and blue glass. So the dental school is embracing local art as well. I like to think it's a Dali like impression of melting teeth, but who knows what it's supposed to be. All I know is that it's a beautiful place to see patients and I'm so grateful that I got to be apart of this little piece of history.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment